According to a new study, the traditional saying “waking up on the wrong side of the bed” may actually hold some truth, with those waking up on the left side of the bed generally feeling happier throughout the week than those who rise on the right side.
The survey, carried out by home interiors specialist Hillarys polled 2,645 British adults aged 18 and over. All participants stated to researchers that they have a full time job and were quizzed on their sleeping habits and how the quality of their slumber related to their mood.
All respondents were initially asked “What side of the bed do you usually wake up on?” 53% stated they woke up on the right side of the bed and the remaining 47% revealed they usually woke up on the left side.
Everyone taking part was then asked questions separately to find out whether the phrase “waking up on the wrong side of the bed” held any merit. Both groups were asked, “Do you wake up happy most days?” to which 47% of the left risers and just 22% of those waking up on the right agreed that they did.
Next, participants were asked if they often felt they had woken up on the wrong side of the bed; 44% of those who wake up on the right side and 32% of those who wake up on the left side said they often (more than twice a week) felt like this.
Wanting to find out more, researchers asked participants, “Which day of the week do you typically find the hardest to wake up on?” with the following five answers emerging as the most common for those who wake up on the left side of the bed:
Wednesday – 43%
Monday – 22%
Thursday – 17%
Tuesday – 10%
Sunday – 4%
The five most common answers for those that wake up on the right-handed side emerged as the following:
Monday – 37%
Wednesday – 20%
Sunday – 16%
Tuesday – 9%
Friday – 5%
Following this, participants were asked how often, on average, they hit the “snooze” button on weekdays. Those who wake up on the left side hit the snooze button twice compared to an average of five times for those waking on the right.
Finally, respondents were asked if they would be able to swap the sides of the bed they sleep on with ease. 91% said they would “struggle” to do so out of routine and familiarity.
Tanya Irons, spokesperson for Hillarys said:
“The phrase ‘waking up on the wrong side of the bed’ is thrown around quite a lot and now it would seem that the phrase actually holds some weight, with those waking up on the left side seemingly being happier and hitting the snooze button less, meaning they are ready to face the day quicker!”