Whether it’s working out in the gym, commuting on a packed tube, hot offices, or after work drinks on a sultry evening – staying cool and fresh can be a challenge.
Indeed, 54.7% of Brits claim they suffer from heavy sweating and around 5% of the population are diagnosed with Hyperhidrosis (the clinical form of the condition). And according to Dan Bracey, the sweat expert for ODABAN® antiperspirant, the problem is compounded by the UK’s typically humid summer weather, which leads to increased perspiration and feeling increasingly hot, bothered and embarrassed. In reality, practically everyone is affected by unwanted body sweat, often at precisely the wrong time – such as during dates, before work presentations, at the gym, travelling, or simply going about one’s daily routine with embarrassing sweat patches and body odour. Fortunately, Dan explains that by using the right antiperspirant and applying some simple tips, even sufferers of excessive sweating can stay noticeably cooler and fresher.
Stay Cool & Make Summer 18 “No Sweat”
- Take a cooler shower: They’ve been shown to lower core temperature which is great for switching-off the sweat response. As a bonus they boost exercise performance.
- Ditch the deodorant: Deodorant doesn’t prevent sweating and can result in unpleasant body odour.
- Use ODABAN® antiperspirant: It’s proven to safely partially-block pores and control sweating.
- Don’t overuse antiperspirant: Using too much has an adverse effect – the secret is using a high-quality product and using the perfect amount!
- Avoid clingy synthetic clothing: Wearing tight clothing made from man-made fibres such as nylon is a recipe for sweat.
- Wear natural socks & underwear: Choosing cotton garments keeps things cooler and drier than synthetics.
- Change twice a day: Stay fresh and cooler by changing socks and underwear twice a day.
- Wear cooling base-layers: Invest in some special base-layers that contain cooling fibre technology – perfect for gym junkies.
- Stay calm with meditation Apps: Combat sweat producing anxiety by using a meditation App in the morning and before meetings and travel.
- Breathe deeply: Five minutes of slow, deep breathing helps calm the mind and body, reducing anxiety and core temperature.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking the recommended 8-10 glasses of water a day helps maintain an optimal body temperature, delaying the sweat response.
- Healthy BMI: A healthy body mass tends to reduce one’s genetic sweating level.
- Maintain balanced blood sugar: Eat complex carbohydrates to avoid sugar crashes, which are linked to anxiety and an increased risk of perspiration. Berries, porridge and fruit are great.
- Boost fitness levels: Better fitness helps to reduce the temperature and sweat response to daily activities.
- Sleep fresh: Fight sweat with “sleep hygiene”, by wearing breathable pyjamas, sleeping in a cool room and using fresh cotton sheets.
- Cooling water: Add cooling ingredients such as cucumber, mint and watermelon to water for more refreshment.
- Spritz sprays: There are countless sprays on the market with cooling essential oils which can help ease anxiety and help reduce body temperature.
- Fashion fan: Fans are one of 2018’s fashion must haves – and they’re also a great way to stay cooler, calmer and fresher.
- Cool mist diffuser: Put a cool mist diffuser on your desk to help reduce body temperature and aid calmness.
- Wearing black or white: If you’re prone to sweating, wearing plain black and white clothing can minimise embarrassing “patches”.
5 Reasons to Use ODABAN® Antiperspirant This Summer
While there are many ways to help stay cool and combat excessive sweating, using a scientific antiperspirant such as ODABAN® offers a line of defence that you can always rely on. The brand’s sweat expert, Dan Bracey, explains that the product contains active ingredients that partially block pores, which creates a drying effect on the skin, without blocking the sweat glands or causing skin irritation: “The formula helps to promote an optimal sweat response, leaving the skin dry, but also hydrated thanks to the inclusion of silicone.” One application of the antiperspirant, which is very easy to use thanks to a versatile pump spray, can last for up to seven days, making it one of the most impressive solutions on the market for excessive sweating on the face, feet and body. Importantly, in a world where we’re increasingly mindful of ingredients and health, ODABAN® has been formulated with an aluminium:protein complex that is insoluble, meaning no aluminium is absorbed through the skin into the blood stream. It’s therefore completely safe to use on a long-term basis, even during pregnancy.
Dan says that within a few days, most people start seeing real results, as the products starts regulating sweating, leading to drier skin, reduced odour issues, fewer unsightly sweat stains and less painful chafing: “Odaban is applied sparingly at bed time and simply washed off in the morning – it’s 100% free of perfumes and allergy inducing ingredients, therefore it can be used over most areas of the body.” Whether you suffer from diagnosed Hyperhidrosis, general heavy sweating, or simply desire a great value antiperspirant that really works, ODABAN® is a simple tip for a fresher summer.
ODABAN® is available from Boots.com and leading Pharmacies, RRP £10.49.