Credit: Recipe: Sue Ashworth; Photography: Jonathan Short
With a name like that this lovely fruit cake’s bound to bring a smile to your face!
Preparation time: 25min plus cooling
Cooking time: 1hr
- Put the mixed dried fruit into a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for 15min, then drain well.
- Melt the butter and sugar together in a large saucepan. Add the drained fruit and cook over a low heat, stirring often, for 4-5min. Transfer to a mixing bowl and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, Fan Oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin.
- Sift the flour and salt into the dried fruit mixture and stir well. Stir in the eggs, pineapple and cherries, mixing well. Transfer to the prepared tin.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour. Test with a fine skewer. If it comes out clean the cake is cooked, otherwise cook for a few minutes longer.