Credit: California Walnuts
It’s National Plum Day on August 11, so what better time to try this delicious recipe!
Preparation time: 1hr
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, Fan Oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. In a small pan, melt 100g of the butter together with the brown sugar, stirring until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a spring form cake tin, making sure the entire base is covered. Spread the plums upside down over the mixture.
- Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites, beat them until stiff and set them aside in the fridge. In the meantime, melt the chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of simmering hot water. Beat the remaining butter with the caster sugar and egg yolks until pale and foamy, then add the mixture to the melted chocolate.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and walnuts together, then add the chocolate and egg yolk mixture, stirring until fully combined.
- Carefully add the egg whites to the bowl and fold until combined. Spread the mixture over the plums and bake in the preheated oven for 45min.
- Once the cake has completely cooled down, turn it upside down on a plate and serve.