This gluten free cake perfectly showcases the flavour of California walnuts. Serve with poached pears and crème fraiche for a rich, satisfying dessert or teatime treat.
Preparation time: 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease and line the base of a 9-inch cake tin with a circle of baking parchment.
- Place the walnuts in a food processor and blitz until you have a flour-like consistency.
- Separate the eggs into 2 mixing bowls.
- Whisk the egg yolks, lemon zest and caster sugar with an electric hand whisk until pale and creamy, then whisk the egg white to stiff peaks.
- Mix the blended walnuts into the egg yolks, then fold in the egg whites.
- Spoon the cake mixture into your prepared tin and place on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake for 35-40min or until cooked in the centre and risen.
- Meanwhile, peel the pears and cut in half, scooping out the core with a melon baller or teaspoon. Bruise the cardamom pods.
- Add the peeled pears, saffron, cardamom pods, lemon juice, caster sugar and water to a medium sized saucepan over a low heat. Poach the pears for 15-20min or until soft and infused.
- Slice the cake into 8. Serve each slice with a poached pear and a blob of Greek yogurt or crème fraiche.