Make your mum this gorgeous cake for Mother’s Day. It’s perfect as the centrepiece for an amazing afternoon tea!
- Preheat oven to 180°C, Fan Oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Line a 22cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Melt butter and stir in sifted cocoa until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla extract until thick and creamy. Fold in cocoa mixture, ground almonds, baking powder and chocolate. Pour into prepared cake tin.
- Place two chopped pears over the top and gently press into the mixture.
- Bake for 35-40min until cooked. Whilst baking, caramelise one pear. To do this, quarter pear and slice thinly lengthwise. Place in frying pan with a thin layer of caster sugar set on medium heat and cook until golden brown.
- The centre of your cake will still be a little gooey and the top firm. Allow to cool in the tin before cutting into pieces. Carefully place a piece of caramelised pear on the top of each piece. Serve dusted with a little sifted icing sugar, if desired.