It’s the ultimate comfort food with a twist! Try this healthy version of macaroni cheese with added vitamins…
Preparation time: 20min
Cooking time: 25min
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Cook the kale in a large pan of boiling water for 3min, remove with a slotted spoon and cool under cold water, squeezing out the excess liquid.
- Add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook for 9-10min, adding the leek for the last 2min. Drain well and return to the pan.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pan, stir in the flour and cook for 1min. Off the heat, gradually blend in the milk then bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Stir in 100g cheese and the mustard, and season well.
- Stir the sauce into the macaroni with the kale and transfer to an ovenproof serving dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 25min until golden.
- Serve your healthy macaroni cheese with crusty bread or a tomato salad.
This is a great way to use up odd bits of different cheeses in the fridge.