Recipe box company Gousto has teamed up with Joe Wicks to offer four of The Body Coach’s most popular recipes from his best-selling Lean In 15 books. This chicken katsu combines zingy flavour and healthy ingredients for a delicious dinner!
Preparation time: 20min
Cooking time: 15min
Nutritional information: Energy (kcal) 574; Fat 8g; of which saturates 2g; Carbohydrates 84g; of which sugars 12g; Fibre 3g; Protein 50g; Salt 3g
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C (fan)/ 400°F/ Gas 6. Place your hand flat on the chicken breast and slice in half as if cutting a burger bun, so you are left with 2 thinner pieces. Cover these in cling film and bash them with a rolling pin until flattened and approx 1cm in thickness.
- Crack the egg into a shallow bowl then add 2tbsp flour to a plate with salt and pepper. Combine the panko breadcrumbs with 1tbsp vegetable oil and a pinch of salt on a large plate. Add chicken to the flour, tapping off any excess, then add it to the egg, and then the panko breadcrumbs until evenly coated.
- Add the breaded chicken to a lightly oiled oven tray. Put in the oven for 10-15min or until cooked through (no pink meat!) and crisp.
- Meanwhile, add the basmati rice and 250ml cold water to a pot with a lid. Bring to the boil over a high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to very low and cook, covered, for 10-15min or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Remove from the heat and keep covered until serving.
- In the meantime, boil a kettle. Peel and grate the apple, shallot and ginger. Grate the carrot. Chop coriander finely, including the stalks. Dissolve the stock cube in 300ml boiled water.
- Heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with 1tbsp oil over a medium heat. Add the grated shallot, apple, ginger and carrot and cook for 3-4min. Sprinkle in the curry powder and chopped coriander and cook for a further 1min, until fragrant. Add 1tbsp flour and cook for 1min, stirring to coat vegetables evenly.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil over a high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5-7min or until the sauce has thickened to a curry-like consistency. Meanwhile, de-seed and finely slice the red chilli. Finely slice the cooked chicken.
- Serve the sliced breaded chicken over the katsu sauce with the rice and baby leaf salad to the side. Drizzle the salad with a little olive oil. Garnish with the sliced red chilli (can’t handle the heat? Go easy!) Enjoy!