Everyone loves a pastry puff – and these combine healthy veg with yummy cheese and chutney for an easy-to-eat, meat-free lunch or picnic!
Preparation time: 15min
Cooking time: 30min + 15min cooling
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add carrot, parsnip and onion and fry over a medium-high heat for 3-4min. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 5min stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add the spinach and thyme to the pan and cook for a further 2min until the spinach has cooked down. Remove from the heat and cool for at least 15min.
- Heat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190C. Line two baking trays with parchment. Unroll the pastry on a work surface and cut each sheet into 10 equal pieces.
- Mix the Branston Dorset Ale and Apple Chutney and the cheese cubes into the filling. Place half of the pastry pieces on to the prepared trays. Brush on a 1cm border of beaten egg around each one.
- Carefully pile the filling into the middle of each pastry piece. Place a second piece of pastry on top of each and carefully press the edges together. Use a fork to seal the edges firmly, giving each pastry puff a 1cm fluted border.
- Slice a small air hole or two into the top of each pasty, and brush with the egg. Scatter with the seeds and bake for 20-25min until deep golden and the pastry puffs are crisp. Serve hot, warm or cooled.