When relaxing outside, there is nothing worse than having to share your drink with an angry wasp or being nibbled by mosquitoes. Our friends at Dobbies have the solution, a brilliant – and natural – way to keep those bugs at bay this summertime – and you can make them at home!
You will need:
- Kilner glass jars
- Fresh lemons
- Fresh limes
- Fresh sprigs of rosemary
- Essential oils: cedarwood, lavender, lemon and thieves
- Floating tealight candles
Individual items available from Dobbies Garden Centres – Glazed Terracotta Bowl £6; Kilner Preserve Jar (0.5ltr) £3.49; Kilner Preserve Jar (1ltr) £3.99; Era Dimpled Pot (13.5cm) £4.99; Rosemary £4.99, 3 for £12.
- Gather everything you need and remove the lids on the kilner jars. Cut the lemons and limes into slices.
- Fill the jars three-quarters full with water. To each one add 2 slices of lemon, 2 of lime, 2 sprigs of rosemary and 10 drops of each essential oil (40 in total).
- Top up with more water if needed. Float a tealight on the top, then light it to warm the water and release the aroma of the oils.
- Place on tables near to where you will be sitting to keep the bugs away! Make fresh jars every 2-3 days.