Tasty? Check. Satisfying? Check. 3 of your 5 a day? Check! You can’t go wrong with this warming Italian-inspired dinner that’s fortified with a dash of flavourful soy sauce.
Preparation Time: 10min
Cooking Time: 45min
- Slit open the sausages and remove the sausage meat, discarding the skins.
- Heat a wide, high-sided frying pan with the oil over a high heat and cook the sausage meat for 8-10min, breaking it up into small pieces with the back of a wooden spoon. Once golden brown all over, tip onto a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and fennel to the pan and cook for 10min until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1min then add the canned tomatoes with 200ml water, the chilli flakes, oregano, bay leaves, tomato purée and soy sauce.
- Simmer for 20min, until reduced slightly, and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the gnocchi according to the pack instructions.
- While the gnocchi are cooking, add the cooked sausage meat to the sauce and stir the spinach through until it’s just wilted.
- Drain the gnocchi and stir into the sauce with the basil. Remove the bay leaves, divide between 4 plates and serve with the parmesan and plenty of fresh black pepper.