It’s almost Stir Up Sunday, and this Christmas cake is made to impress. Packed full of nuts and made with YaconViva’s Yacon Syrup for a lower sugar twist (at least until you add the icing!), it’s perfect for dark December evenings.
YaconViva Yacon Syrup is a natural alternative to sugar and is incredibly versatile, making it the ideal swap for all your Christmas bakes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170ºC (150ºC fan) and grease a deep cake tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, YaconViva Yacon Syrup, milk and butter. Put to one side.
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Slowly fold in to the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. Mix in the dried fruit, nuts and orange zest.
- When all combined and a sticky consistency, transfer to the greased cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for one hour, using a knife to check it’s cooked. If the knife comes out clean then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Leave the cake to cool thoroughly for at least a couple of hours and remove from the tin.
- When cooled, spread the apricot jam over the cake ready to bind the icing.
- Dust the countertop with icing sugar to ensure no sticking and knead the marzipan to make it mouldable. Then, using a rolling pin, roll the marzipan into a thin even layer (approx 2cm thick) and large enough to completely cover the cake.
- Layer the marzipan on the cake, then pop more apricot jam on top ready to cement the icing layer on top.
- To make the icing: whisk the egg whites until frothy, adding the icing sugar slowly. Add the lemon juice and beat until the mixture is stiff and stands up.
- As with the marzipan layer, roll on a dusted counter down to a thin, even layer (approx 2cm thick). Pop on top of the jam-covered marzipan layer.
- Trim any overflowing icing and marzipan layers to size. Decorate with YaconViva’s Cacao Nibs and your favourite festive treats!
YaconViva Yacon Syrup (£9.99 RRP for a 220g bottle) and Yacon sweetened Cacao Nibs (£9.99 RRP for 300g) are available from Amazon UK, health stores and yaconviva.co.uk