Nothing says springtime quite like rhubarb, and Lizi’s has the perfect twist on the nostalgic British dessert – the rhubarb fool.
Transformed into show-stopping knickerbocker glories, the pretty layers of pink rhubarb fool, crumbly golden granola, scarlet strawberry compote and vanilla-scented cream are perfect for a light dessert after an alfresco lunch, or to serve at a barbecue.
Preparation Time: 20min
Cooking Time: 10min
Makes: 4 large/6 standard sundaes
- Chop the leaves and ends off the rhubarb stalks and discard. Cut the stalks into small pieces.
- Place the rhubarb, orange juice and sugar into a pan on a medium heat and bring to the boil. Simmer until soft and completely cooked.
- Remove from the heat and strain the rhubarb through a sieve, collecting the syrup in a bowl underneath. Place the strained rhubarb in a bowl to one side to cool.
- Chop up the strawberries. Pour the syrup back into the pan and add in the chopped strawberries.
- Bubble together the syrup and strawberries to make a simple compote on a medium heat for around 5min.
- Remove the strawberry compote from the heat. Use a fork to roughly crush the strawberries and then put to one side to cool.
- Whisk the cream, icing sugar, vanilla and crème fraiche together with an electric hand whisk until softly peaked.
- Fold two-thirds of the whipped cream mixture into the cooled rhubarb.
- Take four glasses and spoon a layer of the rhubarb fool into each one. Layer with Lizi’s Digestive Health Granola, a few spoonfuls of the strawberry compote and repeat until the glasses are almost full.
- Decorate with the whole strawberries and a sprinkle of the granola. Enjoy!
Lizi’s Digestive Health Granola, RRP £3.70 for 350g, is available from Sainsbury’s.