Songkran is the annual festival which takes place over three days during the traditional Thai New Year, this year falling on Friday 13 – Sunday 15 April 2018. Throughout Thailand there are celebrations, festivities and plenty of food; all culminating in a momentous country-wide water fight! Also celebrated around the world, including in London
- Cut the chicken into chunks, around 2 inches in length.
- In a wok, heat the vegetable oil, curry paste and 200ml of coconut milk. Keep stirring over a low heat until fragrant.
- Add the chicken to the wok, turning frequently so all the meat is covered in sauce.
- Pour in the remaining 400ml of coconut milk and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed potatoes, roasted peanuts, onions, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind juice, bay leaves, cardamom and cinnamon. Keep over a low heat to simmer until all the ingredients are tender.
- Remove from the heat and serve with steamed white rice.