A lovely centrepiece to your Easter celebrations – and it’s so easy to make!
- Position the oven shelves towards the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 180°C, Fan Oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease two 18cm (7in) sandwich tins with a little Trex, then line the bases with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, Trex, unbeaten eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Use a wooden spoon to beat the mixture together for 1-2min until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and level the tops. Bake for 18-20min. To test that the cakes are cooked, they should be golden brown, and when touched lightly the tops should spring back into place.
- Put the tins on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes. Remove the cakes from the tins and cool completely, then remove the lining paper.
- Meanwhile, beat together the butter and icing sugar until light and creamy. Stir in the vanilla and food colouring.
- Spread half the buttercream over one cake. Spread the underside of the second cake with the raspberry jam. Sandwich the cakes together and spread the remaining buttercream on top. Decorate with small Easter eggs and tiny icing flowers.