Christmas is for everyone, so it’s great to be able to offer an alternative to traditional baking to people who want to eat gluten free, vegan and vegetarian. Doves Farm are famous for their different flours, so they are making sure there’s something for everyone this year.
For the cake:
- Line a 30x40cm/12×16″ baking tray with parchment and preheat the oven to 200°C, Fan Oven 180°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
- Put the cocoa and water into a bowl, mix until smooth then set aside.
- Break the eggs (or chickpea flour + water + baking powder) into a large bowl and beat really well. Add the caster sugar and beat for 2min. Sieve the flour into the bowl and beat for another 2min. Add the prepared cocoa mixture and beat for a further minute.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it out to the edges.
- Place in the oven and bake for 13-15min.
- Leave the cake in the tin for 2min then gently tip it out onto a tea towel, gently roll it up into a cylinder and leave to cool.
For the filling:
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl, add the butter and beat together until smooth.
- Gently unroll the cold sponge, spread the butter cream evenly over the inside and roll it up again without the tea towel.
- Put the cream into a saucepan, bring it to the boil then remove it from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- Cool the chocolate for a few minutes, stirring occasionally as it thickens.
- Spread the chocolate over the cake. Drag the prongs of a fork lengthways through the chocolate to create texture. Chill until set.
- Sieve a little icing sugar over the cake before serving.