Back In Time For Tea 60s style TV show by the BBC featured a My Weekly recipe using mutton – here is a modern dish using lamb, which is more popular nowadays!
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Put the vegetable fat and water into a saucepan. Heat gently to melt, then bring to the boil. Pour into the well and beat with a wooden spoon to form a soft dough. Knead lightly until smooth. Cover and rest for 20 minutes.
- Mix together the lamb, sausagemeat and herbs. Season.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, Fan Oven 200°C, Gas Mark 7.
- Roll out the pastry thinly on a floured surface and cut out 12 circles with a 10cm cutter. Use these to line a muffin tin, then pack in the filling. Cut out 12 tops using a 6cm cutter, using any trimmings to make pastry leaves.
- Dampen the pastry tops and position on the pies, pinching the edges to seal. Decorate with pastry leaves and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 35-40min until cooked and golden.