Wondering what to feed a gluten free guest? Make this delicious lasagne for everyone to share! Schar Wholesome Vitality Loaf (Tesco, RRP £2.49) contains quinoa, chestnut and sorghum, plus sunflower and linseeds. It is high in fibre and low in saturated fat.
To make the sauce:
- Pour the milk into a saucepan along with the cut vegetables, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Heat gently to simmering point (or put in a large jug and heat in the microwave, medium setting for 3-4min).
- Remove from the heat, cover and leave to infuse for 30min, then strain the milk into a jug.
To make the ragu:
- In a medium to large saucepan, fry the pancetta until lightly brown. Add the mince with the nutmeg and herbs over a medium to high heat, constantly stirring until all the meat is slightly brown.
- Next add the diced onion, garlic, celery and carrots and continue to fry for another 5min.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and stock cube, and cook for a further 20min. Season to taste after the filling has cooked.
To make the layers:
- Melt the butter and mix in the crushed garlic. Toast the bread slices and brush with the garlic butter.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C, Fan Oven 170°C, Gas Mark 5.
- Melt the butter for the sauce in a pan over a low heat then remove from the heat, add the cornflour, stirring until smooth, and gradually blend in the milk, stirring constantly.
- Return to the heat until the sauce comes to a gentle boil. Add 65g of the cheese and season to taste.
- Place half of the ragù sauce on the base of the dish. Layer half the bread on top, with half the béchamel sauce and repeat.
- Top with the remaining béchamel sauce and sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 40-45min until golden on top and gently bubbling.