For super succulence, add spices and lots of butter to your Christmas turkey! It will smell and taste fabulous!
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC, Fan Oven180ºC, Gas Mark 6. Cut a piece of Bacofoil The Turkey Roasting Foil at least 3 times the length of the roasting tray and place in lengthways. Lift the turkey onto the foil.
- With clean hands, rub the butter all over the turkey and especially over the breast.
- Slice one of the oranges and arrange the slices over the top of the bird, before adding whole spices, tucking some of them into the gaps and top of the turkey. Tuck four of the onion quarters around the bottom of the turkey.
- Squeeze another of the oranges into a bowl and set the juice aside. Then pop the squeezed orange halves into the cavity along with four quarters of onion and the sage.
- Pour the stock around the base of the turkey then bring the ends of the foil up and seal together, ensuring there is space for steam to circulate and so that the skin isn’t touching the foil. Add another layer of foil over the top if required to make sure it is sealed and protected.
- Roast for 2hr, carefully unwrapping and basting frequently with the stock and juices (about every 20-30min), then re-closing the foil.
- Meanwhile add the mixed spice, honey and black pepper to the orange juice in the bowl and mix well to combine.
- After 2hr, uncover the bird and baste again then drain off most of the cooking juices and reserve for the gravy. Return the turkey to the oven, uncovered, until 45min cooking time remain.
- With 45min cooking time to go, spoon or brush the spiced honey mixture over the bird, ensuring it is evenly covered. Slice the remaining orange, and add them along with the cranberries to the turkey. Cook for the remaining time (uncovered). Check that the meat is thoroughly cooked through, then loosely re-cover with the foil and place a clean tea towel over the top to keep warm while the meat rests and you finish preparing the rest of your meal.