The perfect recipes for a quiet cosy supper or during the “midmas” period between Christmas and New Year. Making the most of the ends of the cheeseboard, plus some of the leftover trimmings, you could also add chunks of leftover turkey, pigs in blankets or sausage meat stuffing for a meatier dish.
- Cook the macaroni in a large pan of slightly salty water according to the pack instructions, but take off the heat 3-4min before reaching the recommended cooking time so that the macaroni is still “al dente” or slightly undercooked. Drain and set aside.
- Warm the milk gently in a pan and then make a béchamel (white sauce) by melting the butter in a large saucepan, adding the flour and cooking for one minute whilst stirring continuously. Gradually add the warm milk a ladleful at a time, stirring to avoid lumps until a smooth sauce has formed.
- Stir in the mustard and 400g of the grated cheese, then add the cooked macaroni, cranberry sauce and chestnuts and stir until coated.
- Pour the mac ‘n’ cheese into an ovenproof dish and top with the remaining cheese and the crumbled leftover stuffing.
- Place in the oven for 30min at 170°C or until crisp and golden on top. Take it out of the oven and allow to set slightly before serving.