Fed up with sponge cakes – or need a gluten free option? Then try this moreish meringue cake flavoured with ground almonds and toffee-flavoured muscovado sugar, luxuriously filled with ruby summer berries, whipped cream and yogurt. Perfect for a summer birthday!
Preparation time: 30min
Cooking time 35-40min
Cost per portion £1.12
- Whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric whisk until forming stiff but still moist-looking peaks.
- Gradually whisk in the caster sugar, then muscovado sugar, a teaspoonful at a time until they have all been added. Whisk for 1-2min more until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Fold in the vinegar and ground almonds with a large metal spoon then divide the mixture between 2 lightly oiled 20cm sandwich tins that have been base lined with a circle of non-stick baking paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven set to 150C/gas mark 2 for 35-40min until lightly browned and crisp.
- Loosen the edges of the cakes carefully with a knife then leave to cool in the tins.
- Loosen the edges of the cakes once more, then turn out on to a sheet of non-stick baking paper. Peel off the paper from the bases.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft swirls, then fold in the yogurt.
- Transfer one macaroon cake to a serving plate, and spread with two-thirds of the cream mixture. Arrange two-thirds of the fruit on top, then add the second macaroon cake. Decorate the top with the remaining cream and berries and serve within 30min of assembly.
The macaroon cake can be made the day before and then turned out on to a tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Cover with a second sheet of paper and store in a cool dry place. The cakes are very fragile so handle with care; you may find it easier to transfer them to a serving plate by sliding the base of a loose-bottomed cake tin underneath them, rather than using a palette knife or fish slice. Decorate at the very last minute.