Nothing says Easter like hot cross buns. This recipe has a delectable combination of flavours including Pink Lady® Apples, chocolate and orange zest. Best served with a generous spread of butter!
Preparation Time: 15min + 2hrs for proving
Cooking Time: 20min
- Heat milk in a pan and bring to the boil. Take off the heat and add butter to melt. Leave to cool until warm, not hot.
- In a large bowl, mix the strong bread flour, caster sugar, salt and yeast. Make a well in the centre and slowly pour in your warm milk/butter and egg, combining the flour mixture to create a paste. Keep going until it all comes together to form a dough. You can use a fork or your hand for this.
- Turn your formed dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10min to create a smooth, elastic dough that should spring back when you press it.
- Put the kneaded dough into a clean, well-oiled bowl and cover with oiled cling film. Leave in a warm, dry place until doubled in size, roughly 1 hour.
- Add chocolate, Pink Lady® apples and orange zest. Knead through to fully combine.
- The mixture should weigh about 1.08kg. If you divide it by 12, each bun should weigh about 90g.
- Form each bun into a neat, round shape and place on a lined baking tray, leaving space for each to expand. Lightly score a cross into each bun.
- Cover with oiled cling film or a clean tea towel. Leave to rise for another hour.
- Once risen, glaze the buns with some milk. To make the cross, slowly mix about 8tbsp water into the plain flour until you have a paste that you can pipe. Put into a piping bag or a freezer bag and snip the corner. Pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Put into a preheated oven at 200C fan/gas 7 for 20min.
- Once your buns are baked, place on a cooling rack. Heat the honey and brush onto the buns to glaze.
Find more lovely Easter recipes in Your Best Ever Easter magazine, out today! its 100 pages also contain fun craft, gardening and home decorating ideas, plus pages of Easter gifts inspiration.