Make a statement and impress your friends with a cake that looks as good as it tastes! Prefer Prosecco? You can substitute the Pimms for Prosecco when making the delicious syrup.
Cooking time: 1hr
- Heat the oven to 160°C, Fan Oven 140°C, Gas Mark 3. Grease and line a deep, 20cm cake tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the eggs for about 5min until pale and thick. Add the caster sugar and continue whisking until the mixture doubles in size, is very foamy and leaves a trail when you lift out the beaters.
- Continue to whisk on high while you add the olive oil drop by drop.
- Sift the flour onto the mixture and fold in very gently with a large metal spoon.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 40-45min until the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the Pimms syrup. Put the Pimms, lemonade and conserve into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Bubble for 10-15min until reduced and syrupy. Cool. See ingredients list if you would prefer Prosecco syrup.
- Cool the cooked cake in the tin then turn out onto a wire rack. Cut the cake into three layers. Spoon the cooled syrup over each layer.
- To make the white chocolate cream, put the white chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of warm water and leave until melted. Dip 3 whole strawberries in the chocolate and chill. Whip the cream until it just begins to hold its shape and fold in the remaining melted chocolate with a balloon whisk. Keep whisking gently until the mixture is thick and spreadable.
- To fill and decorate, spread the conserve over the sponge layers and top with the remaining strawberries, thinly sliced. Layer up the cake onto a board or plate.
- Cover the cake with the white chocolate cream and refrigerate overnight.
- To make the caramel shards for decoration, line a baking sheet with foil and sprinkle over a layer of caster sugar. Pop under a hot grill for 4-5min or until the sugar melts and turns golden brown. Immediately sprinkle over the freeze-dried strawberries and the pistachios. Leave to cool then break into shards. Store in an airtight container.
- When ready to serve, pop the chocolate dipped strawberries on top of the cake with the raspberries and caramel shards. Serve immediately.
Recipe belongs to Bonne Maman, for more information or recipe ideas visit bonnemaman.co.uk. Recipe included in Piece of Cake, a charity e-book from Cake Week which is sponsored by Cuisinart and Guittard Chocolate.