Marinating overnight in buttermilk makes the chicken tender and delicious. Very little oil is used in this easy recipe, making it healthier than fried chicken. We recommend serving as a burger, piled with avocado, salad, and kale-slaw on the side.
Preparation Time: approx 10min plus marinating
Cooking Time: approx 40min
- Cut chicken fillets in half horizontally to make 4 flat pieces. Add buttermilk to a medium Bacofoil® All Purpose Zipper® Bag. Place chicken in the bag, zip to seal and mix until chicken is coated. Place in the fridge upright, on the stand-alone base, to marinate for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 170ºC fan, 190ºC, Gas 5. Place all dry ingredients in another clean Bacofoil® All Purpose Zipper® Bag, zip to seal and shake well to mix.
- Transfer chicken pieces to the bag containing the crumbs, zip to seal and toss until all pieces are well coated.
- Place chicken on a baking tray lined with Bacofoil® The Non-Stick Kitchen Foil. Cook in the oven for 25-30min, ensuring chicken is cooked through at the thickest part.
- Split and lightly toast bread rolls. Slice avocado and squeeze over a little lemon juice. Mix mayonnaise with lemon zest and black pepper and spread a little on the base of each bun. Add salad leaves, tomato and a piece of buttermilk chicken. Top with avocado and the bun lid. Serve with coleslaw or kale-slaw on the side.
Tip: You can marinate and coat the chicken, then freeze in Bacofoil® All Purpose Zipper bags for a month. Defrost thoroughly before cooking.