Want to know how to make a vegan steak? Follow this ingenious method which uses a smokey Jack Daniels sauce.
- Add the chickpeas, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, coriander powder, oregano, soy sauce, tomato paste, paprika, black pepper, Jack Daniel’s® Full Flavour Smokey Barbecue Sauce and vegetable stock to the food processor and process until well mixed.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the vital wheat gluten. Stir briefly and then get in there with your hands, mixing it into a dough. Knead the dough for around 2 minutes. Divide in 4 and shape into steaks
- Wrap individually in foil and steam for 20 minutes. Either use a steamer basket, or sit them in a colander over a pan of boiling water.
- Once steamed place on a baking tray and brush with Jack Daniel’s® Full Flavour Smokey Barbecue Sauce. Coat very well.
- Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil and fry the steaks at a moderate heat until golden and caramelised. Keep brushing with glaze to build up a nice sticky coating
- Serve with a side salad and sweet potato fries
Vital wheat gluten is extracted from wheat flour and is used in bread making to make a better dough, and it also improves the consistency in the steak. Replace with rice flour or plain flour if you wish.