Consumers and brands are wising up to the endless superfood powers of chickpeas. Versatile, rich in protein and fibre, they are low in fat, salt and sugar too. Why not try TV chef Phil Vickery’s tasty, filling version of vegetable lasagne, with chickpeas and parmesan packing a protein punch?
Preparation time: 25min
Cooking time: 45min
- Heat oil and sauté onions for 15min. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2min until it takes a little colour. Add flour to soak up the oil and mix well.
- Add the chickpeas, borlotti beans and mix well.
- Add the can of tomatoes, tomato puree, stock cube, water, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 15min. Take care – it may catch slightly, so stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile make the white sauce. Heat the milk. While it’s warming, mix butter and flour together well, then whisk into the simmering milk. It will thicken almost immediately.
- Add salt, pepper and half the cheese. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Roughly chop the green beans and stir into the tomato sauce.
- Heat the oven to 190°C, Fan 170°C, Gas 5. Spoon a little bean sauce into a baking dish, roughly 25cm x 25cm (slightly smaller if you have one).
- Place in 4 lasagne sheets to cover well. Add a layer of white sauce, then a layer of meat sauce.
- Add the final 4 sheets of pasta and finally top with the rest of the white sauce. If you are freezing, freeze at this point.
- Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and bake the lasagne in the preheated oven for 20-30min.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving with a large green salad.