Chef sensation, best-selling author, TV presenter and food/travel writer John Gregory-Smith reveals a delicious new way to cook Welsh Lamb…
Preparation time: 25min
Cooking time: 3½-4 hours
- Preheat oven to 230C/220C fan. Rub the oil all over the lamb and then encrust it with 2tbsp of the za’atar and plenty of salt. Place into a roasting dish. Pour in 100ml water and cover with foil. Pop the meat into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 160C.
- Cook for 3½-4 hours, or until you can pull the meat apart with two forks. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10min.
- Place lamb onto a chopping board and remove and discard the skin. Pull meat off the bone and shred with two forks.
- Skim the fat from the roasting juices and return meat to the pan. Mix well and check the seasoning, adding salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, put the red onions into a bowl and add the lemon juice. Add a good pinch of salt and mix well. Leave to macerate for 10min, mixing half way through, until the onions go a beautiful light pink colour.
- Serve the cooked meat at the table, so that everyone can assemble their own lamb tacos with the onions, yogurt, coriander and pomegranate seeds.