Nutritionist Pixie Turner has created this simple and speedy recipe that’s high in protein, low in fat and a source of fibre. It offers 3 of your 5 a day and is high in vitamin A too!
Preparation time: 10min
Cooking time: 35min
- Heat the oil in a tagine dish or heavy-based flameproof casserole dish. Fry the chicken for 2-3min. Remove from the dish and set aside.
- Add the onion and cook for 5min.
- Add the garlic to the dish along with the spices. Stir for 1min.
- Add the chicken, carrots and butternut squash. Stir for 1min.
- Add the chopped tomatoes along with a can full of water, and the stock cube.
- Leave to simmer for 15-20min, until the squash and carrots are quite soft.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add these, the dried apricots, and cavolo nero to the dish and simmer for another 5-10min.
- Season to taste. Serve with couscous cooked as per packet instructions and fresh coriander.
Cook’s tips: Not a fan of couscous? Serve with rice instead. Want to make it vegetarian/vegan? Cook without the chicken and use vegetable stock. Want extra protein? Serve with yoghurt.