This moist Italian-inspired cake, bejewelled with blueberries, is more pudding than cake… especially when served with a spoonful of mascarpone flavoured with orange liqueur! With thanks to Love Fresh Berries.
Preparation Time: 30min
Cooking Time: 35min
- Preheat oven to 170ºC (150ºC fan), Gas 3. Grease and base line a 23cm springform tin. Add butter and sugar to a large bowl or food processor, then add the orange rind. Beat together until light and fluffy.
- Mix polenta, flour, baking powder and ground almonds in a bowl. Gradually mix alternate spoonfuls of beaten egg and the polenta mix into the creamed butter and sugar. Beat well after each addition until smooth once more.
- Stir in 3tbsp orange juice and the orange flower water, if using. Spoon into the lined tin and sprinkle the blueberries over the top.
- Bake for 35min or until the polenta cake is well risen, cracked slightly on top and a skewer comes out cleanly when inserted into the centre.
- Mix 50g sugar with 3tbsp orange juice in a bowl. Remove the cake from the tin and put on a cooling rack, peeling away the lining paper, and set the rack over a plate. Skewer the top of the cake, then drizzle over the orange syrup. Sprinkle with the pistachios. Leave to cool.
- When ready to serve: mix the mascarpone with the grated rind of ½ an orange and the rest of the sugar then gradually mix in 2tbsp orange juice and the liqueur.
- Transfer polenta cake to a board. Top with extra blueberries then cut into thin slices. Serve with spoonfuls of mascarpone mix.
- Cook’s tip: The cake freezes well wrapped in baking paper and foil for up to one month. Defrost at room temperature for 3 hours then serve.