The creamy dessert is infused with coffee and Drambuie Honeyed Liqueur for a king of puddings
Preparation time: 30min
Cooking time: About 40min
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, Fan Oven 160ºC fan, Gas Mark 4.
- In a pan, heat the double cream and vanilla paste until starting to simmer. Remove from the heat. Add the espresso powder and stir until dissolved, then stir in the Drambuie Honeyed Liqueur.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale. Slowly pour the hot cream mixture over the egg yolks, whisking all the time until thickened.
- Strain through a sieve, then skim off any foam on top. Pour into a medium-sized ceramic flan or pie dish.
- Lay a folded tea towel into the bottom of a large roasting tin, then place the flan dish on top. Carefully pour cold water into the tin to come about a quarter of the way up the side of the dish. Very carefully transfer to the oven and bake for about 40min until the custard is just set. It should still just wobble in the centre. If it is still too runny, place it back into the oven and check every 5min.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then chill in the fridge until cold. This can be done a day ahead.
- When you are ready to serve, scatter half the sugar over the top in an even layer. Use a chef’s blowtorch to caramelise the sugar until golden and scatter over the remaining sugar and repeat.