Quiche is on the menu for the coronation, so here’s a deliciously different take on the classic recipe!
Instead of a typical pastry crust, the base of this quiche is made with grated sweet potato, pressed into an oven dish and baked until crispy and magnificent.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / 160ºC fan / Gas 4. Butter a 24cm round oven dish generously.
- Grate the sweet potatoes using a box grater and place in a colander. Sprinkle over ½tsp salt and leave to sit for 10-15min, before using a clean tea towel to squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Put the potatoes into a bowl, add the smoked paprika and season well. Add the flour and 1 of the whisked eggs and mix really well to combine.
- Tip the potato mix into your prepared oven dish and press into the base and sides to make a crust, plugging any gaps. Place in the oven and bake for 30min, or until golden.
- Remove the crust from the oven and brush with the second whisked egg. Place back into the oven for a few min to set.
- To make the filling: Add the eggs, double cream and milk to a jug and whisk well to combine. Season well, then sprinkle in the chives. Pour the mixture into the sweet potato crust and crumble over the feta cheese.
- Nestle the Cavolo Nero in amongst the feta and place the uncooked quiche on the middle shelf of your oven. Bake for 25min, or until the centre has just a slight hint of a jiggle.
- Allow to rest and set up for 10min before eating.