Layers of meringue, smooth whipped cream and a sharp taste of raspberry come together to make this elegant yet simple pastel dessert. It’s part of Dr Oetker’s Bake Friends campaign. Read the full story here
- Put the egg white powder in a bowl. Gradually mix in 8tsp of warm water until combined.
- Heat the oven to 140C, 120C fan, gas 2. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking parchment and draw 4 x 17cm circles on each of them to use as templates.
- Whisk the eggs on a low speed at first, turning up the speed gradually to medium. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add 250g of the sugar 1tbsp at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Divide the meringue between 4 bowls and very gently fold into each, a few drops from one of the food colouring gels.
- Using a spatula, spread each mixture into a template on the baking sheets. Bake for 45min, then leave to cool in the oven.
- Meanwhile in a wide saucepan heat the remaining sugar and 2tbsp of water until melted. Add the rhubarb and turn up the heat slightly. Poach for 6min or until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tender rhubarb to a plate and the juices to a small saucepan. Bubble for a few mins or until syrupy. Once cooled, mix with the rhubarb and raspberries.
- Whip the cream until softly peaking. Put one of the meringues on a serving dish spread with some of the cream. Drizzle over some of the rhubarb and raspberry mixture and juices. Repeat with the remaining layers, leaving the top plain.