Simnel Cake is an Easter Sunday tradition, but if you don’t want to bake a whole cake, these muffins might be the perfect alternative!
Preparation time: 1hr 15min
Cooking Time: 24-30min
- Tip the fruit into a bowl, add the orange zest and juice and leave to soak for 1hr.
- Line 12 deep muffin tins with muffin cases. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, Fan Oven 160ºC, GasMark 4.
- Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, mixed spice, nutmeg and milk until light and fluffy, then stir the fruit in well.
- Cut 100g of marzipan into small pieces and stir into the cake mix.
- Divide the mix evenly between the muffin cases and bake for 25-30min, until risen, golden and firm to touch. Leave to cool.
- Beat together the icing sugar and lemon juice to make icing thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- With the remaining marzipan, make 12 discs to fit on top of each muffin. Stick onto the top of each muffin with a little bit of icing and toast (brown off), either using a blow torch or placing under a hot grill, until golden.
- Allow the marzipan to cool then drizzle the icing over the top, add a cluster of eggs and leave to set.
For a showstopping Eater cake, and many more Easter recipes, pick up the latest My Weekly Special, out now!